I'm going to try to keep this better up to date - the blog was a great motivator last year while I was training and hoping it will keep me honest and on track.
So here's this edition of Week in Review:
Days of Running: 4
Days of Cross Training: 2
Miles Logged: 8
Sunday
Rest Day. Enjoyed a wonderful 10 year anniversary dinner with Chris & decked the halls. Or really just the porch because I knew that Oliver would just pull a Christmas tree crashing down. Hanging all the garland turned out to be a great upper body work out - who knew!
![]() |
| 60 feet of fresh garland with some holly berries I added from our yard's bushes - watch out Martha! Now just waiting patiently for a nice snowfall like we had on the day we moved in last year! |
Monday
Took out ye ole running shoes for a short jaunt. Did a 5 min walk to warmup, a 1.5 mile run, and a 5 min walk to cooldown. The pace was nice and easy at 9:48. Started to mist/light rain during the run which was awesome with the 55 degree weather. I do miss running in the fall!! My foot felt a little sore towards the end of the run but the hip flexor was fine.
Tuesday
Honestly planned to do some yoga and did not. Honestly tried to take Oliver for a good hour long walk - he did not want to though. He was curled up by the heat vent in the bathroom and even though I put his sweater on, he was not going to make it any farther than two houses away. I feel guilty pulling him along for a walk but he needs the exercise (and so do I!). I think he's entered into the "fear stage" puppies enter around 5 months and suddenly he's terrified of going on walks. Last Tuesday's walk at the Greenway was only marginally more successful. Foot still sore from Monday's run.
Wednesday
Foot still sore. Lots of massaging it during the work day. Logged a 2 mile run at moderate pace to baby the foot a bit.
Got home and felt like doing some more so I cued up the FitnessTV on Demand. We got rid of cable for about a year and a half and before that I did a lot of Namaste Yoga and Gilad Cardio on Fit TV...apparently there is not longer Fit TV - merged with Discovery Health which is mainly ER and birthing stories all day...No more Namaste Yoga and Gilad only comes on at an ungodly hour in the morning... I did a 10 min yoga session to stretch out after the run followed by 2 different 10 min Ab workouts. 2 different ones mostly because the first was a floor-based Ab workout and Oliver thought it would be the perfect opportunity to attack me and play. Then I found a "standing Ab workout" and had much better success completing it!
Thursday
Cross training day
Mr. Oliver and I ventured to Salem Lake and logged a suh-weet walk. That dog can go & go and taking him out to the Lake was more of an adventure for him - lots of sniffs and trail to explore, but less distractions and no traffic to freak out about! At one point he stopped, pushed me to one side of the trail and started growling very protectively while staring at the embankment. I never saw what he was carrying on about (he barked somewhat aggressively/protectively for about 2 minutes), but I trust his nose and think it may have been a snake or bobcat. This was the first time he's gotten protective of me like that, and I have to admit - it was pretty cool. The walk continued back to the car and all told, we did about 2 1/2 miles of brisk walking with 6 short jogs of 30-60 seconds to start getting him used to running at OUR paces. We worked on heeling and by the end of the walk, I had a VERY tired puppy who was walking loose leash at my side. Definitely need to keep up this kind of training for Oliver / cross training for me. I could feel my foot getting some good strengthening and my hip flexor was able to stretch out with long strides.
Afterwards, we made the drive over to Ruff Housing for Oliver to claim his $250 winnings in gift certificates for a photo contest with the newspaper - Top Dog in the Best in Show & Cutest Puppy categories!
Afterwards, we made the drive over to Ruff Housing for Oliver to claim his $250 winnings in gift certificates for a photo contest with the newspaper - Top Dog in the Best in Show & Cutest Puppy categories!
| "What!! I won? I really really won!?!?! Wowza mom!!! I can't wait to go to daycare and run around all day!" |
Friday
Today was a 1.5 mile day - half the distance planned for the long run tomorrow. Rushed home and got out the door in the cold to finish my run as daylight dwindled. I chose not to take the headlamp and safety light based on how much daylight was left, although the safety light should probably always be worn. I knew my route was well-lit and I would be sticking to the sidewalks. A quick run with a few hills to it in a modest pace. Great way to start the weekend!
Saturday
So I had planned to do my long run today but my foot was a little tender which was enough of an excuse for me to wait an extra day and get some schoolwork done....Rest day today.
Sunday
Long run day! Not so long, but today I did a 3 mile "long run" - don't snicker!! Cardiovasculary it's nothing, but am still having tenderness with my peroneal tendon...
Run went EXCELLENT! I kept a nice even pace and enjoyed the beautiful mid-50s weather. About an hour afterwards though, my foot was sore. Did some good stretching and rested while catching up on schoolwork and football. Fast forward a few more hours - was outside playing with Oliver and felt a pull in my foot like after the half marathon. NO NO NO! Man that was painful. Back inside to the couch with an ice pack, ibuprofen, rest & elevation. The foot felt better by bedtime and I as I write this on Monday, it's still a good bit tender but no stabbing pains today. I'll have to wait and see how it's feeling later - hoping I can do a short run.
And that is my Week In Review - thanks!
Run went EXCELLENT! I kept a nice even pace and enjoyed the beautiful mid-50s weather. About an hour afterwards though, my foot was sore. Did some good stretching and rested while catching up on schoolwork and football. Fast forward a few more hours - was outside playing with Oliver and felt a pull in my foot like after the half marathon. NO NO NO! Man that was painful. Back inside to the couch with an ice pack, ibuprofen, rest & elevation. The foot felt better by bedtime and I as I write this on Monday, it's still a good bit tender but no stabbing pains today. I'll have to wait and see how it's feeling later - hoping I can do a short run.
And that is my Week In Review - thanks!
