Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Adventures in Trail Running

Remember this guy?  Back in August I blogged about our soon-to-come-home 8 week old puppy Oliver, a german shorthaired pointer (GSP).  He's now a leggy 65 lb goofy bundle of energy and he LOVES TO RUN.  More than I do, more than hubby does, more than all those Olympic hopefuls we'll be watching this weekend.

We spent a lot of time training Oliver this year and it's paid off tremendously.  He's super duper smart (and I'm not just saying that as a proud puppy parent) and truly likes to participate in training activities.  Our major problem is traffic in the neighborhood - it used to terrify him and we're to the point of tolerating it, but it still makes walks difficult on some days.  A healthy fear of traffic is ok though...he's gotten out of the backyard fence twice (gate left open) and he gets to the front yard and goes "Oh No!!"...we know this because he came right to the front door and barked to come back inside.  I told you he was super duper smart.

His favorite places to go have trails though.  In researching the breed as runners we were thrilled to find out that GSPs are one of the best speed or distance running breeds as well as an trail running breed and it's a trait we've embraced, especially with his discomfort near traffic.  When we get out of urban Winston and on the trails, he's in unity with it all.  As with most GSP puppies though, he's got two speeds - sleep or GO FAST!  He's learning, with our guidance, that an 8 mile run cannot be started at 6 minute miles... we will all tucker at before the end.  Pacing is getting easier and he listens much better to vocal commands on runs.  He's learning that runs are about him getting to stretch out his legs and test speed, but runs are about getting outside with us to exercise together.

Last night we headed to Tanglewood Park after work to enjoy some of the shaded singletrack mountain bike trails given the sudden jump in heat/humidity this week.  Hubby and our friend A headed off on a different trail to do a faster / longer run and I took pup down a different trail.  I packed up my Camelbak hip pack even though I planned on only doing 4 miles.  It was quite hot/humid and I knew pup would appreciate some water too.  Oliver stuck right with me loose leashed and cruised along the trails, just happy to be in his element.  I grew up horseback riding and realized that I use a lot of those techniques with Oliver on runs in terms of gentle leash taps for correction and vocal clicks to get his attention / focus.  It works very well for us.  At trail splits (or a tree in middle of trail), I can gently tap the leash in the direction to take or an intersection, Oliver will pause, turn, and wait for direction.  It's so nice not getting tangled in the leash or fight with him on directions.

About halfway through we came across the boys and Oliver was beside himself...I think he was ready to ditch me and go fast with the boys, but alas on this day it was too hot for him to go faster (at least until he gets more acclimated).  After a quick chat I let the boys go in front of us on the trail and waited a min or two for them to get out of sight.  Oliver decided that we must have been lost and had his nose to the ground tracking for Dad.  Every trail intersection he took pause and pulled to where they went.  We took pause for another minute, hit the reset button, and he was back to running with me rather than tracking Dad.  I'm sure it'll get better with more practice though.  Truthfully, I did get lost in the middle of the trail and did a loop three times before Oliver found the correct way down the trail...whew!

My favorite thing about taking Oliver out as a running partner?  It's a tie between the bond we get during that time and the aftermath of snuggles on the sofa. I swear if a dog could smile, he's smiling every time he looks at me on the trail. It has definitely been worth the time, training, and all other efforts to have such a dedicated running partner in our family!

The aftermath of runs...Pure snuggles


No comments:

Post a Comment