Today we hopped over to Greensboro to explore the amazing
Bur-Mil Park and its trails with a small group. The planned route was a 10k with about 1 mile on the greenway, 4.5 miles on the Owl's Roost trail (very technical - rocks, roots, rolling hills), and then short hop back on the greenway before heading onto a branch of the Big Loop, finishing on a steep uphill before topping out at the field and running down and across the open field. The run was fantastic and the group was great! We did the 10k in about 59 minutes with a few stops to let bikers pass. After about a 10 min break to hit the restrooms and get some water, 3 of us headed back out to run it again! My legs were getting a bit tired and I was getting complacent right about the time I ate the trail. Full superman onto my side, hip smashing into a rock/root of some kind. But, I was able to get right back up and dust off the trail to keep going. Lesson learned (a bruise and few cuts later). The second lap took about 60-62 minutes including my tumble, so the pace was pretty even throughout the morning. It was a great 12 1/2 miles and I really enjoyed getting out on the trails - can't wait for more trail running this spring.
We took full advantage of the park and gorgeous 60-degree weather by packing a picnic early this morning. A few pics of our picnic - pb&j, clif bars, fruit and perrier from a quick stop by whole food this morning:

Enjoying our picnic basket we got for Christmas and some Perrier

Mmmm - healthy food!

Thank goodness the geese were nice to not attack us

My monster blood blister I got from trying to do trail running in my "retired" nikes now.
Yuck! Between this and the tumble, I feel more like a trail runner now...
No comments:
Post a Comment