Sunday, February 21, 2010

Punxsutawney Phil

A few weeks ago, dear Phil said 6 more weeks of winter and I think he was right. We've gotten more snow and it has been cold and blustery more often than not. But this weekend...oh, this weekend...What a tease of Spring to come! Saturday was 57 degrees and sunny which of course required a long run through parks and the estates of Winston Salem. On what should have been my Half race day, I couldn't help but leave the frustrations of not racing out on the road and do a hard 8 miles at sub-9 minute mile pace. It felt great - very encouraging of where my running progress status is!

Today was another b-e-a-utiful day with a high of 61 degrees. I dug around in the dresser and pulled out my spandex running tank and track shorts from last summer (pleasingly more loose fitting than in the fall) and headed out to the track. I did a warmup on the cross country course and then headed onto the lanes for an 8 x 400 at 5K pace. I ran almost all my laps in the 1:50s instead of 2:00, but it felt great even though I ran hard yesterday. Accordingly, I'll take tomorrow as a rest day and skip a 3 mile maintenance run that I had planned (I ran 2 miles warmup/cooldown instead of 1, so I'm already getting ahead on mileage this week and I need to be careful after a taper week). Aside from the walkers and dog-walkers and kids running unattended on the track (mostly inside lanes, ergh), the speed workout went well and I was pleased.

Sadly, I know this weather was a tease and this week will return to cooler temperatures but I am grateful that the Springtime weather landed on a weekend for us to take advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment