Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Rundown - Krispy Kreme Challenge

Today was my last run before Saturday's K2C race. I went out for an easy 3 miles to keep the legs loose and mileage on schedule. The Krispy Kreme Challenge is a race at my alma mater organized by some guys I knew from the honors dorm. It raises an amazing amount of money for the NC Children's hospital and has been the talk of ESPN in previous years. Saturday's race is coming quick and another winter storm is on it's heels, so here's the rundown:

Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Distance: 4.91 miles (estimated)
12 Donuts: 2400 calories, 1200 fat calories, 36g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 60mg cholesterol, 1140mg sodium, 120g sugar, and 24g protein...
Challenge: Run from the bell tower at NCSU downtown to the Krispy Kreme store. Eat a dozen donuts and haul ass back to the bell tower without presenting partially digested donuts. All in less than an hour while dodging the 5,999 other maniacs who decided to do this challenge. Fortunately, there are trash cans lining the course.



I'm planning on pushing the first half of the run (sans donuts) and then make 3 stacks of 4 donuts smashed together. Then truck it back (w/o getting sick) in less than an hour. I'm hoping to run 8-8:20 pace for the first half and get the donuts down in 12 minutes. I've got a little practice with the Winston Donut run that I came in 2nd at, but I *know* this is going to be much more challenging. I'm excited for this first race of the season, if for no reason other than Chris will be debuting his amazing costume (see slideshow on left column) at the K2C. Running with us at this race are our longtime friend Garrett and Chris's sister Lori! Some of our local friends are also making the trip out to do it because we've talked it up so much. Right now they are calling for 33 degrees and rain at the start of the race. This may worry you fair-weather runners, but I see this and smile - remembering Tuesday's fantastic run!

No comments:

Post a Comment